Sunday 17 January 2016

A favourite winter meal ...

Winter has finally arrived after a wet & mild December.  Heavy frosts, a dusting of snow & freezing temperatures heralded in January in our Shire.

My working day often  carries on till quite late without a break, so by the time I get home, I am  famished & want something quick & easy to eat.

I have always been a great fan of roasted root vegetables & am pleased that the major supermarkets are now selling foil trays of ready prepared vegetables for roasting.

I like to buy two trays so I can roast both at the same time then use the second one for soup.

The roasting process brings out the flavours & then it is quick to turn it in to a nutritious soup. This is how I do it ...

The prepared vegetables are roasted in the oven as per instructions.


I make up some vegetable stock - I favour an organic one but any stock is fine.


The roasted vegetables, stock & a pinch of chilli flakes is boiled for about 10 minutes to soften them


I use a stick blender to make the smoothness I prefer, then test for seasoning.


I love these soup pots with their lids to keep the soup warm. I am trying to cut down on bread so ...


This is a nutritious soup that is really tasty - give it a try for these cold winter days ...


What is your standby meal for when you need something hot & quick?  Please share your inspirations for winter meals.

Thanks for stopping by & taking time to comment.
Dee ~♥~

2 comments:

  1. Dee this soup looks divine! We get stuck on chili.....root vegetables would be healthy! It's in the 40*-60's in FL so we are cold too! We are going now to look for wood to burn in the fireplace! Happy Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda, I love chilli too - yum. Root vegetables always taste wholesome & are warming ... I hope you managed to get a good fire going in your fireplace. Have a fab week ....

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.