Sunday 7 May 2017

Making a fabric basket cover

Hi everyone, lovely to see you all here, I hope you are enjoying life wherever you are.

I work with students who are educated outside of mainstream. One of my lovely older girls asked me to teach her to do some baking so we agreed a morning & I packed up the things I would need in a basket with just a tea towel.


It was the first time she had used a hand mixer but her Victoria sponge (made with guidance) came out very well.  It is one of my favourite cakes so I am happy to pass on the skill.


I decided to cover the basket with some cheerful fabric as it is also used for picnics ...

I already had some really lovely fabric & everything else so a free morning was all that was needed. I have made covers for baskets before so knew what to do.

I measured how long I wanted the sides to be from the base in the basket ...


 It is easy to just trace the shape of the bottom of the basket, then cut it out with a little extra to get the right shape for the base of the basket.


Long straight machine stitch was all that was needed to gather the fabric to match the base shape, pin it in quarters to make it easier ...


Pin the gathered section to the base section then stitch all around. I did a zig-zag on the edges to stop them fraying too ...


I had some fabric left so made 2 bags to carry the lose things in the basket for picnics ...


A morning well spent because the basket is now really cheerful for summer ....


Much nicer & it can be taken off easily for washing ...



Thank you for stopping by & taking the time to read & comment.
Dee ~♥~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.