Tuesday 16 August 2016

Crocheting a rose brooch ...

Hi everyone

Are you enjoying summer where you are? We have been promised a heatwave but it has yet to materialise.

However, I am loving my time off work to just catch up with friends & things for a change.

I recently showed you my tentative crocheting efforts following some beginner lessons. My late Mother & Grandmother could crochet & chat at the same time & they were always making something while muttering about my 'idle hands' ....

I am ambidextrous so I do some things with my right, some with my left hand & it so I skipped certain skills (knitting as it was easier to get my Mom to do it)

However, the lovely crochet tutors have been brilliant & have let us find the way that we are comfortable with ... my thread holding works for me is all I am saying.

I saw a workshop to learn to crochet a rose brooch & talked my friend Liane Pearl in to joining me at a local craft shop. It was intense to get the rhythm of the pattern .... 5 trebles ... 2 doubles ...  5... 2


Amazingly, it took on the shape & I was even impressed with how neat mine was - progress!


One leaf done & then time for a crochet button for the centre ....


Finishing them off & putting the backing pin on - fabulous achievement.


Oh yes - a great evening was had by all, a new pattern learnt & a lovely brooch too.


My lifelong learning aim continues this year ... I need to practise this while it is fresh in my mind because it is so effective!

I am sure I am not the only one learning new skills. Do you figure it out yourself or are you happy to enrol on a new course? Tell all & thank you for stopping by & taking the time to read & comment.

Dee ~♥~


6 comments:

  1. Hi Dee,
    The roses are lovely! Good work!
    Xx Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really pretty. You getting good at this new craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I am still way behind your crocheting skill but I really enjoyed this xx

      Delete
  3. Love the rose Dee! I used to crochet, but was stuck on Christmas trees....lol. I have been in Hattiesburg, Ms helping my son and daughter in love with their 6 month old, Willow. She was just diagnosed with Neurobastoma of the spine. She will be in All Children's Hospital in New Orleans receiving chemotherapy. Appreciate prayers for this sweet gal! I am behind on reading all your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lynda - you have been missed but what sad news you bring; I did not know of this so I googled it & our Macmillan cancer site is quite comprehensive http://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancerinformation/cancertypes/childrenscancers/typesofchildrenscancers/neuroblastoma.aspx
      Your support will be greatly appreciated by your son & daughter in law - I will include Willow in my prayers - please update me & I pray all goes well xx

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.