Monday 7 March 2016

My space ....

I thought I would share one of my special spaces which holds my memories.

This is my desk, tucked in the corner of my bedroom with my gorgeous large framed painting that I am very fond of. It took me a long time to find out her name & I just loved this mezzotint from the first time I saw it & knew she was going home with me. Her demeanour is just so elegant & peaceful that I feel she brings a sense of calm to the space. Her story is told here ...

The desk used to be a horrid dark colour but being a solid wood desk, I painted it to fit in to my space & be something I love because it is beautiful & useful.


Being my personal space, away from visitors, I keep my favourite things there - cards from my lovely daughters, the last birthday cards sent by my Mum, little special things that have sentimental value ...


A card the girls made for their Grandmother that is now with me, held up by one of a pair of vintage brass Indian elephants ...


Two tiny stained glass Ethiopian angels for my girls, memories of fabulous times spent together in Ethiopia & the angels in the church in Gondar ...


A small silver Indian elephant that Ms M & I exchanged on our trip to India - we bought one for each other as a memory of our trip ...


My lovely statue busts wear my 'bling' that I like to see - costume / paste jewellery, some of it quite old but I love having it out as it inspires me to use it more often ...


A vintage glass & metal container with holes from the bedroom I always used at Olive's home.  It was always on the dresser 'so you have somewhere to keep your earrings safe when you visit' . It now keeps my pretty bits handy & safe, as well as serving as a reminder of time spent with Olive


But my desk especially contains letters from my late Mom. She was a great letter writer & it was always a joy to open the door & find a letter on the mat from her as I knew it would contain both news & interesting bits.

I made this letter holder after attending a Gentlework hand sewing day. It is made out of a cloth that my grandmother & mother had on their dressers & so it is a connection to them ...


I love getting letter or a card. I  regularly write cards & letters to my Dad in South Africa because he loves getting post so this is a contact from our life to his.  Emails & texts are welcome but they are not the same as letters which can be savoured & reread - emails are just not letters ...

This is where I write my letters - away from distractions, at my desk. This lovely Spring card is winging its way with Easter greetings & news ...


I use a vintage brass cigarette container as my stamp holder. It is a family item that is repurposed & it is in regular use.



We remain connected to our past if we hold memories dear ...


Do you have a space to call your own? Do you still write letters & cards or is email & texts the accepted form of correspondence now?  Tell all & thank you for taking the time to stop by, read & comment ...
Dee ~♥~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.