Sunday 13 March 2016

Making some new Easter bunting ....

Hi everyone

Easter is so early this year, the 40 days of Lent have flown by & I realised it is time to think of Easter.

While dropping off some bags at a local charity / thrift shop, I saw this blouse & I just knew that the fabric was perfect for  .... Easter bunting!


I washed & ironed it & then decided that the pattern was too busy & it needed to be combined with some plain fabric.

I did not want it to be a laborious task so decided on single sided bunting flags with just pinked edges to stop them fraying. I tried out some paper shapes before deciding on the narrower flag shapes.


I wanted a contrasting shape - perfect inspiration in the kitchen - this cookie cutter was the right size & shape for contrast ...


I folded & pinned the fabric to make it easier to cut several at a time, then cut them out with my pinking shears ...


The pretty thrift / charity shop top (H&M according to the label) was cut along the seems then straight sections cut off for the contrasting pieces ....


The egg shapes being cut ...


Time to head up to my sewing machine with all the bits ...


The tops were turned over & straight stitched then trimmed - that is all that is needed 


On my shelf by the sewing machine I spied some fabric glue that I had bought but not used. Hmm this project could be getting even quicker ...


Glue lightly applied to the reverse, smoothed with a paintbrush, then positioned on the larger flag ...


The egg contrasts being glued on with fabric glue ...


I wanted a simple threaded top with string so I cut a kebab skewer, taped the thread to it to make threading the flags quick & easy - a perfect way to thread them together ...

 

I had bought some small wooden embellishments - they would finish it off well. I remembered the fast tack glue my local independent craft shop had recommend to 'stick almost anything'. I can really recommend this glue - a few light blobs on each shape then they were pressed on to the bunting ...


It looks rather good for a couple of hours work & the colours are more grown up for our space ...


Our new Easter bunting - in place on our inglenook fireplace in less than 2 hours from start to finish.


I am glad I took some shortcuts by doing single sided flags, using fabric & craft glue to finish off a project in a spare few hours. I prefer the string threaded through the top because I can adjust the flags to suit the fireplace much easier & it looks more relaxed & casual.

Do you put up some decorations for Easter? We will be having a family Easter so I like it to look a bit more inviting .... Have you used the fabric glues before?

Thanks for stopping by & taking the time to read & comment.
Dee ~♥~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.