Monday 11 February 2013

IKEA hacks

Are there any other IKEA fans out there?

Ikea remains a fabulous place to get inspiration from - I love their candles & fabrics because they are just so pretty & their cushions are also always right on trend without breaking the bank.

When we moved in some years ago, this was the guest bedroom of the previous owner …


I love colour but that just had to go.  The coloured wallpaper & borders were too much - I couldn't live with something so vibrant when bedrooms are meant to be calm spaces to unwind.

The riot of colour soon gave way to my favourite Dulux Natural Calico & Fired Earth Ivory. We decided that since we had 3 other double beds that this one would have twin beds for visitors.

This is our  guest bedroom after much Dulux Natural Calico & Fired Earth Ivory paint. I have had some requests via my flickr/photos/deirdr/ for additional photos of my IKEA hack so here they are ....

The space between the two twin beds is not huge & so I used an Ikea RAST pine cupboard I already had. However,  I knew the cupboard was way too plain for the purpose.

The starting point was the two lovely vintage French design headboards. They were tired & dated with a gold rub so we painted them in Fired Earth Ivory to show off their beautiful shape. We needed something to match them.

I found some good wooden moulding decorations at a local hardware shop, glued them in place then put a thin nail through each to secure it properly before painting it in Fired Earth Ivory.

Clear glass handles just finish it off nicely. It looks more at home now with the vintage (painted) headboards & the vintage chest of drawers which was also painted ivory instead of its dark wood.


I shared this hack on 25-ikea-hacks-diy-home-decor & have had several requests for more photos so I hope this inspires others to just do it.

We all love the calmness of the room & it is perfectly suited to all guests without being too girlie.  Because it is a completely neutral palette, I can find any duvet covers we like to change the look & suit the guests.

Are you tempted to paint furniture & do you like neutrals?

Thanks for stopping by, always pleased to return the visits
Dee ~♥~

12 comments:

  1. That is a lovely guest room and I would never have guessed that was an Ikea dresser. Love the pretty headboard details and wonderful that you have a pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth for your visit - the headboards are vintage & were dated with a gold edge until we painted them because we love their shape & details.

      Delete
  2. Neutrals are lovely, I find they are calming and give me space to relax and think. Beautiful guest room and great Ikea hack! (I found you via Ikea Hackers) Love the lamp and lantern too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 'this is lemonade' thank you for leaving a comment. I love calm things & guests love the room. The lamp is from TK Maxx & is just right I think.

      Delete
  3. I love how your cabinet turned out with this simple project! Totally chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bright Spot - I enjoyed doing it & am pleased with the result. Thanks for stopping by & commenting!

      Delete
  4. wow....awesome..i am just sitting here in Germany wondering what i will do with my rast cupboard...now i know it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous - I am glad you are inspired. Please let me know what mouldings & colour you use & share a photo if you can!

      Thanks for stopping by ...

      Delete
  5. beautiful cabinet....you have the magic touch :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahh thank you - the mouldings just made it special & they are so easy to put on & customise. Let me know if you want the local shop ....

      Delete
  6. I love your hack!! You totally made it blend in with the rest of the set. FABULOUS job! Thanks for sharing your link with me on Hometalk! - Bre @ Average But Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - your hack is amazing, mine is still being used several years later!

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.